[arch-dev-public] Windows Subsystem Linux - Arch Linux as official container?

Bartłomiej Piotrowski bpiotrowski at archlinux.org
Mon Jan 29 22:31:34 UTC 2018

Whoa, this is so good to bash that I can't decide where to begin.

Microsoft started noticing Linux (or rather stopped to fight it so
valiantly) when they realized where the money is. On this ground alone I
don't see a reason to help some corporation in putting our logo on their
website so they can brag how they love Linux now, especially when there
are no real gains for us in all of this.

If you want more technical angle, at least few months ago installing
Arch on WSL required patched glibc. I won't maintain such patches
because of something I completely don't care about. Even if it was
solved since, good luck with debugging all possible heisenbugs that can
be encountered due to sloppy implementation of Linux syscalls on
Windows. If the proposal gets through, I'm not going to spend time on
any of such reports at all, making heavy use of EWONTFIX.

I don't use Windows and I don't care about WSL. Having Docker image
makes sense as it can bring some value for people using different
distributions for development or testing purposes alone. That can't be
said about WSL.

Bartłomiej