[aur-general] AUR4, git, subtrees ELI5?

David Kaylor dpkaylor at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 05:04:16 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 12:19 AM, Phillip Smith <lists at fukawi2.nl> wrote:

> Has anyone written an ELI5 document for us simpletons who only know how to
> push, pull and commit, but would still like to be able to have a single
> repository of PKGBUILD's we are responsible for?

How about a simpleton who has never pushed, pulled, or committed at all? I
maintain only two packages, both very simplistic, and not updated upstream
very often. So a git repository of my PKGBUILDS was not something I thought
was necessary. As a network admin, SSH is certainly nothing new. Git, not
so much. I'm not a developer. My only real exposure has been news of its
creation (I remember the first news of Linus's disgust with the Bitkeeper
changes), its emergence as THE solution to distributed revision control,
and the Bup backup tool (because I regularly backup large VM images and
like the block-level data deplucation advantages.) At this point, enough
info is available that I know what needs to be done. But it would have been
nice if the initial announcements didn't assume that all maintainers, or
even most, used Git in their workflow.