Currently we use the BIND code base in two packages:
- dnsutils from [core] provides basic DNS query tools;
- bind from [extra] is the actual name server.
With the new BIND10 release, the ISC really outdid themselves: all
formerly standalone tools have been merged and rewritten as a python
script which uses bindings to the new libb10-* series of libraries that
are shared with the name server. Python being such a boring dependency,
they introduced another three: botan, log4cplus, and boost!
That mostly means two things:
- We cannot keep splitting dnsutils and bind anymore.
- I do not want to maintain these packages any further.
We already have ldns in [core], a much better written (and sane) DNS
library which includes query tools that are near drop-in replacements
for BIND's: use `drill` instead of `dig`, etc.
So I suggest:
- Any package relying on dnsutils and its tools (dig, host, nslookup) be
ported to use ldns instead - should be straightforward in most cases.
- We ditch dnsutils and bind out of our repos, unless somebody finds
them fun and wants to maintain them in [extra] or [community].
Comments or suggestions are welcome.