multiple people in Arch Linux noticed the output of our `git archive` command doesn't match the tarball served by github anymore.
First I suspected an update in our gzip package until I found this line in the git 2.38.0 release notes:
- Teach "git archive" to (optionally and then by default) avoid spawning an external "gzip" process when creating ".tar.gz" (and ".tgz") archives.
I've then found this commit that could be considered a breaking change in `git archive`:
I don't know if there's some kind of gzip standard that could be used to align the git internal gzip implementation with gnu gzip.
I'm not saying this is necessarily a bug or regression but it makes it harder to reproduce github tar balls from a git repository. Just sharing what I've debugged. :)