I've sent a message to the package maintainer about this, but it
has been a while since there has been an update, and so I wanted to send
something here too for comment and archival purposes. At the moment, the
perl-text-bibtex package fails on x86_64 systems because it tries to
link libraries built without -fPIC to object files built with -fPIC.
On x86_64 machines, when building the perl-text-bibtex package, it
is necessary to add:
to the btparse compiler flags before running "make". That is, the
(1) Download Text::BibTeX from CPAN
(2) Run "perl Makefile.PL", which will fetch a btparse distribution and
untar it into a directory that it symlinks to "btparse"
(3) Change to "btparse" and add "-fPIC" to CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, and
CXXFLAGS in the Makefile and src/Makefile files
(4) Change back to the Text::BibTeX root and run "make"
Otherwise, the linker will complain because the Perl libraries will be
built with -fPIC and the btparse libraries will not be... so they'll be
incompatible for linking.
ALTERNATIVELY, the PKGBUILD could...
(1) Download a btparse distribution and untar it into directory "A"
(2) Modify A/btparse-0.35/Makefile and A/btparse-0.35/src/Makefile as
(3) Download the Text::BibTeX distribution from CPAN and also untar it
into directory "A" (creating A/Text-BibTeX-0.38/")
(4) complete the Text::BibTeX installation as usual (it will find the
btparse distribution that shares a parent directory with it)
Otherwise, perl-text-bibtex fails to build on x86_64 systems.