On 03/25/19 at 12:28am, Robin Broda via arch-dev-public wrote:
On 3/25/19 12:22 AM, Andrew Gregory wrote:
On 03/25/19 at 12:15am, Robin Broda via arch-dev-public wrote:
On 3/24/19 11:20 PM, Evangelos Foutras via arch-dev-public wrote:
On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 at 23:45, Allan McRae via arch-dev-public email@example.com wrote:
We need to assume every system has a copy of pacman-5.2+ before we can switch packages to zstd.
Why is pacman support needed here? I can already install .zstd packages using pacman 5.1.3.
The crucial part seems to be libarchive support, which was added in v3.3.3 (~ September 2018).
Yes, installing zstd packages works - the pacman release is merely required for makepkg. Unless that has already landed too, which would be news to me :)
Thus i don't think we need a hold-off period like this, Allan.
We still need a hold-off period, we're just waiting to make sure people have libarchive v3.3.3 instead of pacman v5.2.0.
That update happened half a year ago, i'm sure that most people with an installation that old will already have to fetch other packages, like the keyring, separately for it to go through.
If we go ahead with the switch those people won't be able to install new packages like the keyring, that's the whole point.
Plus, with libarchives' release cycle, i don't think that libarchive itself is gonna be rebuilt immediately after the change is implemented - providing extra time to upgrade libarchive without having to download a release packed as xz separately.
I don't consider hoping that libarchive doesn't need a rebuild in the near future a great strategy. That being said, this is really a question of how long of a period we need between libarchive v3.3.3 and us making the switch. I'm not a packager, so I don't have much of an opinion on that.