[arch-announce] 2009.08 images

Recent News Updates announce at archlinux.org
Mon Aug 10 13:01:54 EDT 2009

Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
Hello Arch community, If you think all the recent news was not enough, we have some more: The 2009.08 snapshot images are now available! Changes since the 2009.02 release: * built from a current snapshot of [core], which includes kernel 2.6.30.4-1, udev 141-5 and pacman 3.3.0-3. * usage of new AIF installer, which brings: - better disk editor with support for dm_crypt and lvm setups - support for automated installations using config files (deprecates quickinst) - a framework to build your own installation procedures - enhanced date/time setting with ntp support - refactored grub installation routines - usability improvements * aufs instead of unionfs * enhanced boot device detection on image start * bugfixes (xfs freeze, mirror setting, clock correctness, network settings, ...) * more useful automatic configuration settings for your target system based on your settings during the installation * ftp images are renamed to netinstall to avoid confusion * and much more... [ Detailed package list and additional snapshot information][1] [A detailed list of closed tickets][2] As you can see, just like with [2009.02][3] there have been some large changes in our installation tools. Also the actual building process and environment has been improved a lot since we started the [releng project][4]. So it should be more straightforward to build snapshots in the future. As usual, the images come in iso and img flavors, with grub and isolinux for people [whose cd-rom drive doesn't work with grub][5] Due to all mentioned changes, the [installation guide][6] has also been overhauled. The new guide is for now only available in English but we'll add other versions when we receive translated versions. [Download the new snapshots][7]

   [1]: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:2009.08
   [2]: http://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?string=&project=6&due[]=59&due[]=67&due[]=72&status[]
   [3]: http://www.archlinux.org/news/434/
   [4]: http://www.archlinux.org/news/430/