[arch-announce] GNOME3 in [testing]
Arch Linux: Recent news updates: Ionuț Mircea Bîru
announce at archlinux.org
Thu Apr 7 15:01:13 EDT 2011
Ionuț Mircea Bîru wrote:
GNOME 3.0.0 packages are now available in the [testing] repository. These bring
with it an update to gtk2, as well as the new gtk3.
This is a major update and you should take note of a couple of things:
* GNOME3 will replace GNOME2 once it gets moved to [extra].
* GNOME3 has two modes, "standard" mode (gnome-shell) and "fallback" mode
(gnome-panel + metacity).
* Panel applets using Bonobo aren't supported anymore and packages depending
on it will be dropped.
* pulseaudio is now required to run the GNOME desktop.
* Some packages exist in separate versions for gtk2 and gtk3. These typically
have a name like "packagename3". Examples are vte3, libwebkit3, gtkhtml4.
* pygobject is now available for Python 3 in the package "py3gobject".
Have fun testing these packages!
Update and installation instructions are available at
Bugs related to packaging should be reported to [http://bugs.archlinux.org/]
Crashes and feature requests should be reported to
: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNOME_3 (gnome 3 wiki)
: http://bugs.archlinux.org/ (arch linux bugtracker)
: http://bugs.archlinux.org (gnome bugtracker)
More information about the arch-announce