[arch-announce] initscripts update

Arch Linux: Recent news updates: Tom Gundersen announce at archlinux.org
Mon May 2 15:01:11 EDT 2011

Tom Gundersen wrote:

New Features:

  * A new script, `/sbin/rc`, that allows to start/stop and list daemons.

  * Support FakeRAID (dmraid).

  * Support btrfs.

Functional change:

  * The adjustment of the hwclock for drift is moved into a daemon that should
not be used in most scenarios as it can lead to subtle bugs (especially if using
dual-boot or ntp). If you know what you are doing and want to adjust the
hardware clock for drift, add `"hwclock"` to your `DAEMONS` array.

  * We now let udev deal with mdadm, and no longer call mdadm explicitly. This
should make things more robust without losing any functionality.

Recommendations:

  * We would like to remind everyone that initscripts expect all other packages
(except for the kernel) to be up-to-date. This in particular includes udev,
mdadm, dmraid and lvm.

  * We now strongly discourage the use of `HWCLOCK="localtime"`, as this may
lead to several known and unfixable bugs. However, there are no plans to drop
support for `"localtime"`.