[arch-announce] Install media 2012.07.15 released

Arch Linux: Recent news updates: Pierre Schmitz announce at archlinux.org
Sun Jul 22 07:01:02 EDT 2012

Pierre Schmitz wrote:

New iso images containing a current Arch Linux snapshot have been released and
can be found on our [Download][1] page.

Most notable change is that AIF (the Arch Installation Framework) is no longer
included but instead some simple [install scripts][2] are provided to aid in the
installation process. This means a menu driven installer is no longer available
and we rely more on documentation to guide new users. We would like to encourage
our community to fill in the remaining gaps in [our wiki][3].

>From now on our install images are signed and it is highly recommend to verify
their signature before use. On Arch Linux this can be done by using `pacman-key
-v <iso-file>.sig`.

  * The pacman keyring is automatically initialized on bootup. Therefore
signature verification is available on the live media and will work out of the
box on the installed system.

  * Instead of six different images we only provide a single one which can be
booted into an i686 and x86_64 live system to install Arch Linux over the
network. Media containing the [core] repository are no longer provided.

  * Regular iso snapshots are planned on a monthly basis.

  * The install media can also be booted directly via [PXE][4]. Note that its
PGP signature cannot be verified this way!

  * More archiso related options and new features can be found in its
[README][5] file.

AIF had to be dropped due to lack of maintenance and contributions. Of course we
would appreciate it if people would start hacking on it to bring it up to par.

   [1]: https://www.archlinux.org/download/

   [2]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Install_Scripts

   [3]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/

   [4]: https://releng.archlinux.org/pxeboot/