[arch-announce] test-sec-flags: Call for Assistance

Arch Linux: Recent news updates: Allan McRae announce at archlinux.org
Mon Jul 18 06:01:02 UTC 2016

Inspired by discussions on the arch-general mailing list, test-sec-flags was
created by pid1 (with help from anthraxx, strcat, sangy, and rgacogne) to test
the performance impact of various security-oriented compilation and linking
flags. The goal is to determine if these flags can be the new default for all
Arch Linux packages. Preliminary results suggest that the performance impact is
almost nonexistent compare to the compilation flags we already use, but we would
like to collect and compare more results before moving forwards.

Download the source [here][1] and see the README for installation and usage
instructions. The results subdirectory contains instructions on how to pull out
the relevant statistics from the result files.

We are collecting results in the [test-sec-flags wiki][2] on Github. Please add
your results there. In particular, we would very much like i686 results, as all
of the previous contributors have been on x86_64 devices.

Patches welcome.

   [1]: https://github.com/pid1/test-sec-flags

   [2]: https://github.com/pid1/test-sec-flags/wiki