[arch-announce] mariadb 10.4.x update requires manual intervention

Arch Linux: Recent news updates: Christian Hesse arch-announce at archlinux.org
Thu Jun 27 13:40:25 UTC 2019

The update to **mariadb 10.4.6-1** and later changes configuration layout as recommended by upstream.

The main configuration file moved from `/etc/mysql/my.cnf` (and its include directory `/etc/mysql/my.cnf.d/`) to `/etc/my.cnf` (and `/etc/my.cnf.d/`). Make sure to move your configuration.

Instantiated services (like `mariadb at foo.service`) are no longer configured in separate files (like `/etc/mysql/myfoo.cnf`). Instead move your configuration to configuration blocks with group suffix in main configuration file, one for each service. A block should look something like this:

    [mysqld.foo]
    datadir = /var/lib/mysql-foo
    socket = /run/mysqld/mysqld-foo.sock

Like every mariadb feature update this requires the data directory to be updated. With the new configuration in place run:

    systemctl restart mariadb.service && mariadb-upgrade -u root -p