[arch-announce] Required update to recent libarchive

Arch Linux: Recent news updates: Christian Hesse arch-announce at archlinux.org
Wed Oct 16 12:43:54 UTC 2019

The compression algorithm `zstd` brings faster compression and decompression, while maintaining a compression ratio comparable with `xz`. This will speed up package installation with `pacman`, without further drawbacks.

The imminent release of **pacman 5.2** brings build tools with support for compressing packages with `zstd`. To install these packages you need `libarchive` with support for `zstd`, which entered the repositories in September 2018. In order for `zstd` compressed packages to be distributed, we require all users to have updated to at least **libarchive 3.3.3-1**. You have had a year, so we expect you already did update. Hurry up if you have not.

If you use custom scripts make sure these do not rely on hardcoded file extensions. The `zstd` package file extension will be `.pkg.tar.zst`.