[arch-announce] Chromium losing Sync support in early March

Arch Linux: Recent news updates: Evangelos Foutras arch-announce at archlinux.org
Wed Feb 3 07:56:41 UTC 2021

Google has [announced](https://blog.chromium.org/2021/01/limiting-private-api-availability-in.html) that they are going to block everything but Chrome from accessing certain Google features (like Chrome sync) starting on March 15. This decision by Google is going to affect Arch's `chromium` package a bit earlier, on March 2, when Chromium 89 gets released.

We know for sure that **data syncing** will stop working (passwords, bookmarks, etc.). Other features such as **geolocation** or **enhanced spell check** might continue to function for a bit longer. Extensions integrating with **Google Drive** might misbehave and LibreOffice will lose access to documents stored there.

Other distros such as openSUSE and Fedora have already removed the soon-to-be-limited API keys from their Chromium 88 packages. Fedora's [advisory](https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2021-48866282e5) provides a great deal of perspective on this and I also found this Hackaday [post](https://hackaday.com/2021/01/26/whats-the-deal-with-chromium-on-linux-google-at-odds-with-package-maintainers/) to be quite informative.