[arch-dev-public] coreutils 6.9 + fakeroot + makepkg serious bug

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sun Apr 1 20:03:39 EDT 2007

While rebuilding some packages, namcap issued some warnings:

beryl-core W: File (usr/man/man1/) does not have the world readable bit set.
beryl-core W: File (usr/man/man3/) does not have the world readable bit set.

When I look at the $startdir/pkg, everything is fine though. I narrowed
it down to the following simple test case:

[01:54:30][thomas at gollum shm]$ fakeroot
bash-3.2# ls -lF
insgesamt 0
bash-3.2# mkdir foo
bash-3.2# ls -lF
insgesamt 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 40  2. Apr 01:54 foo/
bash-3.2# chmod 700 foo/
bash-3.2# ls -lF
insgesamt 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 40  2. Apr 01:54 foo/
bash-3.2# exit
[01:55:02][thomas at gollum shm]$ ls -lF
insgesamt 0
drwx------ 2 thomas users 40  2. Apr 01:54 foo/
[01:55:03][thomas at gollum shm]$

As you can see, the chmod has no effect inside the fakeroot environment,
which causes a 'cp -a' in makepkg to behave incorrectly and may cause
other similar bugs during makepkg. Downgrading coreutils from 6.9-1 to
6.7-1 solves this problem.

I have no idea where to start, but this should be adressed quickly as it
may break many packages. For everyone who is going to test, I found the
old package here:
ftp://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/sunsite.unc-mirror/distributions/archlinux/current/os/i686/coreutils-6.7-1.pkg.tar.gz

@Romashka: If you read this, I think your exaile build bug is also
related to this, please confirm.