[arch-dev-public] games group

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Mon Apr 16 17:36:58 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I'm currently busy with the movement of gnome from /opt/gnome to /usr.
One of the last packages I need to do is gnome-games, which is
everything but fun.

Current situation:
- gnome-games package, many games, different ones for every major
release
- several score files per game, created by postinstall/postupgrade with
root:user permissions, writable by user, created as 660 files.
- score files can change in any release

Now a games group would come in handy:
- forget about the post_install and score files
- install game binaries setgid games
- users can't cheat anymore because they can only write score files by
executing the game

I would propose to add a games group and a directory called /var/games
or /var/lib/games with root:games ownership and 775 rights.