[arch-dev-public] Arch project management?

Jason Chu jason at archlinux.org
Tue Apr 17 13:36:56 EDT 2007

A lot of people have been saying that quality control in Arch has gone down
the crapper (gotten worse, for the non-native english speakers).  Obviously
we can't test everything on everyone's machine or even test all the
features of all of our packages, so what can we do?

Someone suggested that we have someone who manages quality control.  I
don't like thinking of it as a procedural problem, so I'm going to phrase
it differently.  I think we need someone who makes sure that things don't
get forgotten, by the developers and by the community.  Someone to prod the
devs and the community to test things and make sure things don't get lost.

Roman already does this very very well for the bug tracker.  Since we hired
a bug hunter, bugs get addressed^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hassigned very quickly.
What if we had the same thing for the larger/more important packages, like
kernel26, glibc, apache, everything in core?

The idea isn't to just throw process at the problem, but to be a little
more organized in our package verification.  I don't care how the organizer
does it either, just as long as they make sure that people are happy with
changes before they go into current/extra.

I'm not suggesting any of the developers do this either, we need someone
new who isn't maintaining packages, already busy with Arch developer stuff,
and is active in the community.

Everyone has 1 week to get their comments in before I start looking.

Jason