[arch-dev-public] Consensus on network scripts

James iphitus at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 03:24:38 EDT 2007

On 4/18/07, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:

> Looks good for me. I don't use profiles nor wireless network though. :-P

Sure :)

> I wonder about this line on wiki:
> "Verbosity is controlled by an option in /usr/lib/netcfg/conf."
> Why have this conf file in /usr?

Well, I suppose it's misleadingly named. It's not really a config
file, more somewhere where I define paths, like where profiles are,
and where states are. I put the verbosity control in there for lack of
any other place as it's most likely only going to be needed for
- debugging issues in the scripts
- people who want *totally* silent startup (no explanation of a fail)
- people who are having trouble with configuration/network

Maybe I'll move verbosity to it's own config file in
/etc/conf.d/netcfg, and merge the above netcfg/conf to
netcfg/functions?

> Also, is wireless possible without /usr mounted?

No, and never has been, wireless_tools and wpa_supplicant are in /usr.
The network scripts have always run in the daemons line, and these do
to, so they have always run after /usr is mounted.

James

--
iphitus // Arch Developer // kernel26beyond // iphitus.loudas.com