[arch-dev-public] Consensus on network scripts

Jürgen Hötzel juergen at hoetzel.info
Thu Apr 19 13:28:55 EDT 2007

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 10:18:07PM +1000, James wrote:
> Hey,
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network_Scripts
>
> I've been pushing these repeatedly, with only meager interest shown by
> others. Given a little bit of documentation, I think they're almost
> ready for me to unleash and publicise for further testing.

laptops are often moved between wireless networks and thus require user
interaction. "Static" configuration on system startup are improper for
these requirements. Most other distribution even don't have wpa support in
initscripts. It's complex and error prone. RedHats NetworkManager is a nice
application for this job.

Jürgen