[arch-dev-public] Getting to New Arch SCM Layout and Repo Management

Paul Mattal paul at mattal.com
Mon Apr 30 12:38:18 EDT 2007

Jason Chu wrote:
> Be careful not to make this system too big.  The main site and the AUR have
> somewhat different requirements.  Don't let yourself get bogged down having
> to implement all those features.

Yes, this issue is already on my radar. I'm specifically carving out
JUST the SCM and repo management piece, and not focusing on many of
the other features that the AUR provides. The system we create will
hopefully be a common building block for replacing both systems
going forward but will not itself be sufficient to replace either.

The goal is to create something lightweight that is simple and
flexible enough that using it just to handle these two pieces (SCM
and repo management) will just make sense for 99% of use cases where
you have groups of people contributing to the development and
management of groups of packages.

I imagine that a generic web interface will follow on to this
project, but one is not intended for this initial project. With the
SCM and repo pieces solved, a web interface can be a cleanly
separated next project.

- P