[arch-dev-public] License cleanup

Andrew Fyfe andrew at neptune-one.net
Fri Aug 3 09:28:18 EDT 2007

Travis Willard wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> You may have noticed I added license information to a handful (~27ish)
> packages in [extra] - this email is just to keep you informed as to
> what I'm doing.
>
> Right now, I'm just adding license fields where I can.  For many of
> them, I'm simply searching Gentoo's package search and adding the
> licenses that come up there.  If the package in question isn't in
> Gentoo's tree, I've been looking at the website and downloading
> sources.  For custom licenses, I'm even adding the command at the end
> of the build() function to install the license to the proper directory.
>
> What I'm NOT doing:
> . Rebuilding any of these packages - I doubt users would appreciate
> needing to redownload their whole systems to get updated license
> information only.
> . Updating any of these packages to newest version - I've already come
> across a couple that are definitively out of date, one whose sources I
> couldn't even download to add the proper license-installation
> instruction into the build() method.  I'm not updating these - the
> point of what I'm doing is to add licenses, not make our entire repo
> uptodate.  Maybe that'll come later. ;)
>
> In any case, I think I'm done for tonight; I'm feeling pretty tired.  If
> anyone wants to join me in this crusade, check out my thread entitled
> "Useful Scripts", grab the script that checks for bad licenses, and
> give it a run in your cvs dir for extra or unstable or community
> (making sure to run cvs update first!) - that'll give you a niiiice
> long list of packages that need tending to.
>
> --
> Travis

Attached is a patch for each repo, they mainly contain
- typo fixes
- Artistic => PerlArtistic
- zlib => custom:zlib
- license="..." => license=(...) (aesthetic, but the license field
should be a bash array)

The patches can be applied with `patch -Np1` (-Np2 for
repo-current.patch) from /var/abs.

Andrew