[arch-dev-public] 2007.08 Don't Panic Isos release

Simo Leone simo at archlinux.org
Wed Aug 8 16:14:04 EDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 12:13:16PM -0700, eliott wrote:
> ok. What the hell?
>
> This is ridiculous.
> I think it is great that damir is off to fix all the software that
> deals with escape characters poorly, but in the mean time, I feel a
> need to find a resolution that isn't np-hard.
>
> It must be my development/engineering background.
> Silly me being all practical.
>
> If nobody has any objections, I will change the iso filenames to *not*
> include the ' character. I will probably have to contact the guy who
> posted the torrents as well. It will be a hassle, but this is so
> ludicrous that I am willing to do some extra legwork to fix it.
>
> Any objections?

Hey spreaking of practicality. Can someone enlighten me as to when we
started putting the release name in the filename anyway? I seem to
remember we didn't used to. [1] Why don't we go back to this format?
arch-2007.08-base.iso
Err wait... maybe the extra .'s in the filename will confuse broken
software that finds the file extension by finding the first dot in
the filename instead of the last, maybe we should hold off. My bad.
(laugh at the irony)

And on the same token. Why have we stopped providing a release tree. We
still talk about it on the about page [2], or shall I change the about
page to reflect reality?

And lastly something i noticed in the process of writing this, can we
clean up our ftp structure? ffs there are isos and old shit everywhere.
... current is a symlink to 0.8, is that right? didn't think so. Bah
I'll do it myself.

-S

[1] ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/0.7.2/iso/i686
[2] http://archlinux.org/about/