[arch-dev-public] switch to more up-to-date util-linux and kbd?

Andrew Fyfe andrew at neptune-one.net
Wed Aug 8 22:48:02 EDT 2007

Roman Kyrylych wrote:
> 2007/7/19, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com>:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Today I've noticed a message in lkml about util-linux-ng.
>>
>> A quote: "The util-linux-ng is a fork of the original util-linux
>> project. The goal of the util-linux-ng is a transparent and reliable
>> development that follows the Linux kernel and Linux distributions".
>>
>> Home page: http://userweb.kernel.org/~kzak/util-linux-ng/
>> Highlights of the first release:
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.utilities.util-linux-ng/347
>> Changes look interesting IMO.
>>
>> On util-linux-ng news archive I've also found a thread about updated kbd:
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.utilities.util-linux-ng/326
>> which can be obtained from there: ftp://ftp.altlinux.org/pub/people/legion/kbd/
>> (note that kbd.git is outdated compared to tarballs)
>>
>> What do you think about this?
>>

> Ehm... no opinions at all? ;-)
> I think upfating these things should be "a good thing" (tm) (of course
Especially when it gets rid of the mountain of patches

> in Testing first).

I've been using it without complaint since rc1.

Notes:
* setfdprm has been removed (>= 2.13-pre1)
* nfs support has been removed, use nfs-utils package
* the following are deprecated:
	- cryptoloop support, use cryptsetup package
	- elvtune - doesn't work with kernel >= 2.6.9
	- arch - use uname or arch from coreutils
	- rdev, ramsize, vidmode, rootflags - i386 specific and probably useless

It might be an idea to put a copy in testing with the deprecated apps
removed (elvtune, arch, rdev*) to see if it breaks anything, no point in
shipping them if nobody uses them and they're going to be removed any way.

Andrew