[arch-dev-public] Repository rebuilding

Jason Chu jason at archlinux.org
Fri Aug 10 15:35:35 EDT 2007

On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 02:17:44PM -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On 8/10/07, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:
> > we already have packages with subdecimal versions in both
> > architectures. it's just a question of shell scripting what's the easy
> > way to increase either the pkgrel or add ".1"
>
> it's trivial in both cases. either way, it doesn't seem right to try
> and optimize a process based on limitations of a language.
>
> Still, I never liked decimal pkgrels. It's the "release" number, or
> number of times ArchLinux has released or rebuilt the package. It
> doesn't make sense anymore when you say you released a package 0.3
> times.
>
> What was the rationale behind using decimal pkgrels? Because I really
> have no idea where it started.

That's my fault.  We started it with testing and tur releases: 1t1 and 1s1.

That way if we were testing revisions that would be released in official as
-2, the testing package would be -2t1.  Someone figured that users would be
confused if packages went from -1 to -3.  I didn't think so.

After that it was i686 and x86_64.  The x86_64 people sometimes had to make
changes to PKGBUILDs so that they would build on their machines.  When i686
releases -3, x86_64 has to modify it so they release -3.1.  That way we'd
know that the x86_64 -3.1 was actually just a modification of the i686
package to work with x86_64 instead of being a totally different release
-4.

There have been a number of cases where people have been confused between
ppc, x86_64, and i686 thinking that one release was actually equivalent to
another release in a different architecture.  We were using this to keep
track.

What would you think if x86_64 had a -4 version of a package that you have
as -3 in i686?  Would you think that i686 should update to -4?  Or would
you check the PKGBUILDs of the two of them to see if one or the other needs
an update?

Jason