[arch-dev-public] Major error with kernel26ck

Tom K tom at archlinux.org
Tue Aug 21 17:01:06 EDT 2007

Hi all.

I would like to apologise for a fairly spectacular mess I have made with
kernel26ck. The gory details are as follows.

During the 2.6.22 test period, I  built a kernel26ck package with the
SLUB memory allocator enabled, for my own use. I submitted this package
to extra in error, and compiled all external module packages against it.
When I was building the current version, 2.6.22.3.ck1-1, I noticed my
mistake, and changed back to the SLAB allocator, as used in the stock
kernel. However, I did not appreciate the significance of this change at
the time.

Shortly after the SLAB-enabled package was released, I received reports
that some of the existing module packages did not work with it. To solve
this, I rebuilt all the *-ck modules against the new kernel version. I
incorrectly assumed that the problem had been caused by incompatibility
between the final -ck patchset release, 2.6.22-ck1, and the 2.6.22.3
update from kernel.org. To avoid further problems, I decided to announce
the retirement of kernel26ck.

I would like to thank Andy for identifying the correct cause of the
problem i.e. the change from SLUB to SLAB. Andy is also of the opinion
that we should either continue to update the package as long as it is in
our repos, or else remove it now, and he cites today's 2.6.22.4 update,
which provides a security update, as a good example of this.

Taking all of the above into consideration, I now intend to continue
maintaining kernel26ck until we move to the 2.6.23 kernel, at which time
I will remove it from extra. I will amend Arch News accordingly.

Once again, my apologies to all for this screw-up, and my thanks to Andy
for letting me know.

Regards
Tom.