[arch-dev-public] AUFS

Paul Mattal paul at mattal.com
Thu Aug 30 15:18:13 EDT 2007

Every so often I try again to figure out how to make AUFS coexist
happily with Arch, and I usually end up failing.

So I'm asking for some help puzzling this one out.

AUFS requires a 3-line kernel patch, which appears to expose one
function which is needed by AUFS to enable proper interaction with NFS:

http://aufs.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/aufs/aufs/lhash.patch

When the unionfs patches are applied, this patch cannot be cleanly
applied! Though they don't directly conflict, they modify adjacent
lines so patch can't find the right place to patch.

What I'm trying to figure out is some way we can have both unionfs
and aufs as options against kernel26 without having to recompile the
kernel, in some way that will be feasible to maintain long-term. Any
ideas?

Anyone else interested in using AUFS know anything about this?

We use to do root-on-nfs diskless workstations against a common base
root filesystem, allowing individual workstations to modify their
own root filesystem using a writeable aufs layer. Unionfs is
specifically deficient when used in combination with nfs, and aufs
is proving quite superior.

Even if you haven't any ideas, thanks for listening!

- P