[arch-dev-public] Questionable apps in core/support

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sun Dec 2 06:45:41 EST 2007

Aaron Griffin schrieb:
> Yeah, that's what I was unsure of. The question in my head was "is it
> possible you NEED a vpn connection to get network access". I always
> thought of it as more of a supplemental/nice-to-have thing. Never used
> it seriously outside of "connect to work from home".

That actually happens quite often. Until a few months ago, the only way
to get online via my university's wireless was to use a VPN - and it
would be well possible that this is someone's only internet connection.
After installing from a core cd, one would want to go oline.

>>> c) openswan/openvpn/vpnc

I am not sure why we have openswan there and not ipsec-tools, but I
don't know much about ipsec anyway, I always failed in using it.

openvpn is a free VPN solution similar to ipsec, but much easier to set
up (for both server and client). It is widely used for VPNs.

vpnc is an open source replacement for the Cisco VPN Client. You can
connect to Cisco 3000 and similar concentrators. The protocol is based
on ipsec, but has some proprietary enhancements in authentication. This
is what my university uses.