[arch-dev-public] Cleanup update (was: Third list of removal candidates)

Sat Dec 15 12:42:09 EST 2007

After removing several packages, here's what's left:

=====Packages for which interest has been shown or that should remain in extra=====
apmd	replaced by acpi (incorrect. needed for older machines)
dmcradio	Description: A ncurses-based console program for radio tuner cards.
efax	utilities to send and receive faxes, I guess we should keep it unless another package provides fax support
genius	Roman: it's a gnome app. Description: Advanced calculator including a mathematical programming language
gnome-audio 	audio files for gnome. Part of gnome-extra group. Any takers? Jan? Roman?
hnb	Description: hierarchical notebook (hnb) is a curses program to structure many kinds of data in one place
ipvsadm	Description: The IP Virtual Server administration utility
isapnptools	ISA Plug-And-Play devices support: shopuld be kept
jetty	Description: A full-fledged production-grade lightweight Java Servlet Container
mrtg	Description: Multi Router Traffic Grapher.
nss_ldap	Description: The nss_ldap module provides the means for Linux and Solaris workstations to resolve the entities defined in RFC 2307 from LDAP directories.
pam_ldap	Description: The pam_ldap module provides the means for Solaris and Linux workstations to authenticate against LDAP directories, and to change their passwords in the directory.
pdns-ldap	unused lib, might be included in pdns (currently orphaned)
pdns-mysql	unused lib, might be included in pdns (currently orphaned)
pdns-pgsql	unused lib, might be included in pdns (currently orphaned)
pdns-recursor	Description: PowerDNS recursor
perl-email-date	unused perl module. Jan: What's your take on this after reading my response: http://archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2007-November/003377.html ?  Should we remove them?
speedtouch	modem drivers, should be kept
xf86-input-* 	Xorg maintainer should adopt those
xf86-video-intel 	Xorg maintainer should adopt it
xf86-video-unichrome	Xorg maintainer should adopt it
=====

In the above list, Jan has shown interest in adopting the gnome stuff and
the ldap and pdns stuff but hasn't done so yet via the dashboard.
As for the rest, we should find a maintainer unless someone thinks that
some of them may be moved to unsupported.

=====Packages on the verge of being moved to unsupported=====
adns	Description: adns is an asyncronous replacement resolver library
aide	Description: AIDE (Advanced Intrusion Detection Environment) is a file integrity checker
gpart	Description: Gpart is a tool which tries to guess the primary partition table of a PC-type hard disk in case the primary partition table in sector 0 is damaged
gpgme03	obsoleted by gpgme???
gprolog	Can be removed, I guess. There is another prolog compiler (swi-prolog) in repo.
hashalot	Description: A tool to hash stuff
hypermail	Description: Hypermail is a program that takes a file of mail messages in UNIX mailbox format and generates a set of cross-referenced HTML documents
ippl	Description: IP Protocols Logger
ircd	Description: Internet Relay Chat Daemon
mod_security	Description: An open source intrusion detection and prevention engine for web applications
netdude w libnetdude & libpcapnav	used to inspect/manipulate tcpdump trace files. Should we keep it?
netkit-bootparamd	Do we keep?
netkit-ntalk	Isn't talk obsoleted by Instant Messaging and IRC?
netpipes	Description: The netpipes package makes TCP/IP streams usable in shell scripts
oidentd	ident server like pidentd (orphaned). Which one should we keep or should we remove both?
pam_mysql	Description: A PAM module to authenticate users against mysql.
pidentd	ident server like oidentd (orphaned). Which one should we keep or should we remove both?
pppconfig	Description: A text menu based utility for configuring ppp.
sendfile	Description: The sendfile client transfers files to the sendfile daemon of the recipient's host
ssldump	Description: an SSLv3/TLS network protocol analyzer
tmda	Description: Tagged Message Delivery Agent.
vconfig	Description: VLAN configuration utility
x2vnc	Description: Lets you use two monitors on two different computers one one computer
x2x	Description: Control one X display from another
xprobe	Description: tool for remote OS fingerprinting based on ICMP responses received from the host
yp-tools	Description: yp-tools is an implementation of the NIS client tools for Linux
ytalk	Description: A client of the talk/ntalk inet daemon
zebra	Description: Manages IPv4 and IPv6 routing protocols
=====

Does anyone objects in moving the packages in the above list to
unsupported?  If you are fine with their removal, let me know so I know
that a few other devs went through the list.

believed to be clean.