[arch-dev-public] Killing the 'codecs' package

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Dec 18 07:52:28 EST 2007

Aaron Griffin schrieb:
> We went over this before - codecs is a useless package, and the
> licensing is broken. We have opensource alternatives that play just
> about every format except a few outliers (real media).

There are videos in the real world which are not supported by any
opensource codec.

It is however possible to build mplayer with codecs support even if
codecs are not installed (I think this is the default), such that anyone
could install the codecs and no rebuild of mplayer is necessary.
If this is true for xine-lib as well, then we are all happy.