[arch-dev-public] [signoff] kernel26-2.6.23.12-1

Alexander Baldeck kth5 at archlinuxppc.org
Thu Dec 20 06:20:28 EST 2007

Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 19. Dezember 2007 20:32:06 schrieb Varun Acharya:
>> kmix: can't resize the window(from the corners), and the sliders occupy
>> almost all screen real estate. I have to use alsamixer instead.
>
> I can confirm this. @tpowa: What would break if we do not use any alsa
> snapshots but the stable release?

I think th emost important argument for using snapshots is that they
support more odd variants of soundcards in laptops and other weird
devices. From what I can tell, not much in the functioning of the
drivers themselves changes unless alsa actually does release.

It's a lot of work to break out just PCI-ids and mixer tables properly
so I see that as a reason to go with a full backport. Nevertheless, my
snd-hda-intel (actually a realtek card on an nvidia board, weird huh?)
doesn't do playback anymore. alsamixer pops out of nowhere but the mixer
devices are some I have never seen before and make no sense in the way
they are labeled.

Cheers,

-G