[arch-dev-public] What not to do when packaging (vbetool)

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 15:02:18 EST 2007

Problem here:
<http://cvs.archlinux.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/system/vbetool/PKGBUILD.diff?r1=1.5&r2=1.6&cvsroot=Extra>

There are about 4 revisions in a row of this, and none of them had a
pkgrel bump. Our dbscripts suck, but it looks like they got messed up
parsing the dependencies into the sync DB, leaving a nice little
problem on my system:

$ testdb
missing dependency for vbetool : libx86

The package contains the correct deps (zlib and libx86), but the sync
db only contains zlib. Thus, my system is "broken" at the moment. We
need to be careful when it comes to this kind of situation. If you
make a dependency change to a package, you must ensure you bump the
pkgrel when changing the PKGBUILD. It isn't the end of the world if
the end user doesn't see a built package for every pkgrel bump- that
is really for our internal use anyway.

-Dan