[arch-dev-public] New /arch/db-* scripts

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sun Jul 8 05:39:33 EDT 2007

I started writing new database scripts to replace the old
db-*/updatesync-many/pkgdb2 scripts. The reason are support for the new
pacman 3 naming scheme and fixing some design issues.

The old scripts use PKGBUILDs a lot for their operation and don't check
the package file for consistency with the PKGBUILD (only the filename).
They also move every file from the staging dir, regardless of whether
the package will be added in any repository. And they recreate much of
the functionality from updatesync, sort of reinventing the wheel.

My new draft has a cleaner design, but some new problems appear. It
performs the following steps:

1) Check every file in the staging/add dir using a small libalpm-based
tool and obtain the pkgname, pkgver, pkgrel and architecture. Compare
the arch specified in the commandline with the arch from the package
(this step is missing in the old scripts). Find the PKGBUILD and compare
pkgname, pkgver and pkgrel with the values from the package. If all
checks are okay, add the package to a list. If additionally, a force
flag is set in the PKGBUILD, add it to a "force-list".

2) Check every file in the staging/del dir and obtain its pkgname. Add
this package to a delete list.

3) Lock the database

4) Move all packages and force-packages to the ftp dir, add them with
repo-add.

5) Pass the package files to a pkgdb2-like tool to add them to the web
interface.

6) Delete all package from the delete-list with repo-remove.

7) Pass the package names to a pkgdb2-like tool to remove them from the
web interface.

8) Release the database lock.

The problems I run into are these:

a) In step 4) I can't determinte the filename of the old package and
remove it from the ftp. I could scan for certain filename schemes, but
take into account that the package filename could be anything now, the
script doesn't care. We could however rely on our current filename
scheme to find/remove the dupes (who would go through the trouble to
rename his package to sth like wrongname-notapackage.zip.bz8 anyway?).

b) The same thing counts for step 6). But we mv our packages to the
staging/del anyway so the script won't have to remove them from the ftp.

c) This is the biggest problem currently. In step 5), due to the new
script design, I don't have any data from the PKGBUILD any more and
don't want to go find it again. That means I only use data from the
package file itself to add it to the mysql db. The package file lacks
the "package category" and "source" which are in the web interface. I
could only solve this by either removing this data from the web
interface or adding it to the package file.

d) The web interface doesn't support different architectures, so only
data for the i686 packages is shown. That is a bad thing imo, but once
data for more architectures is added, we need to be more careful about
removing things from the web interface, as one architecture might lose a
package that the other still keeps.

I'd appreciate any comments on this, especially to problem c).