[arch-dev-public] GPL v3

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 01:37:14 EDT 2007

On 7/11/07, Jason Chu <jason at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 12:02:53AM -0400, Dan McGee wrote:
> > Since some software we are going to package soon will be released
> > under GPL v3 instead of GPL v2 or later, should we add this license as
> > a separate one named "GPLv3" in the licenses package and begin using
> > this in the license field? This seems like the easiest solution to me,
> > rather than go back and change every occurrence of GPL to GPLv2.
> >
> > Thoughts? This isn't a very extreme change, but something that we need
> > to consider and I didn't want to make the change without a bit of
> > feedback first.
>
> That was the original plan.  I believe they wanted to call it GPL3 though,
> not GPLv3 ;o)
>
> Jason

Jason, can you send me a link to that if it was discussed somewhere?

And how about this for some licenses stuff:
license=('GPL') - licensed under GPL version 2 or later
license=('GPL2') - licensed under GPL version 2 only
license=('GPL3') - licensed under GPL version 3 or later

licenses package:
licenses/common/GPL/license.txt
licenses/common/GPL3/license.txt
licenses/common/GPL2/ -> licenses/common/GPL/

-Dan