[arch-dev-public] repo reorg

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Wed Jul 11 14:56:48 EDT 2007

Am Wed, 11 Jul 2007 09:23:11 -0400
schrieb Paul Mattal <paul at mattal.com>:

> One thing not to miss.. my design was trying to accomplish 2 things
> with the [lite] repository:
>
> 1) give people a good alternative to downloading/mirroring/carrying
> EVERYTHING with some knowledge that some smart people have put
> together a toolkit for them with one of everything

that was just a decision of taste done by the founder in the past. not
everybody likes it. he wanted the Adobe Reader monster pkg (41mb) but
not epdfview or any other alternative. just only one example.

> 2) provide a guaranteed free/unencumbered repository; if you're big on
> free software, you can rely on things in current being totally free
>
> I admit that #1 is not so often useful. I should clarify; I don't
> recommend we ship a [lite] installer each release. Just core+support
> and a barebones ftp installer.

> The benefit of separating [lite] comes just from one set of broadly
> functional packages having been chosen by people who collectively
> know a lot about Arch to be put into [lite]. If you're on a desert
> island with a laptop with a CD-ROM drive, this is the one CD you want
> to have with you.

CDs and in most parts texttools are still useful but no more the
bleading edge Arch represents. the much bigger part now wants X+ either
QT or a gtk based real window managed world for desktop systems. It's
hard to satisfy this group with small CD size isos. we want to do this
with DVDs in the future.

Looks like "lite" is a wish for only a minor group of users and might
be done outside the official dev group.

Andy