[arch-dev-public] GPL v3

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Jul 12 04:00:22 EDT 2007

Dan McGee schrieb:
> Since some software we are going to package soon will be released
> under GPL v3 instead of GPL v2 or later, should we add this license as
> a separate one named "GPLv3" in the licenses package and begin using
> this in the license field? This seems like the easiest solution to me,
> rather than go back and change every occurrence of GPL to GPLv2.
>
> Thoughts? This isn't a very extreme change, but something that we need
> to consider and I didn't want to make the change without a bit of
> feedback first.

I have some thoughts about licenses in archlinux in general:

1) makepkg should ensure that the license is either in the licenses
package or shipped by the package itself. Otherwise, it should refuse to
build the package or at least warn the user.
This would also force us to make more strict rules about the location
and filenames of licenses.
2) pacman should have a -Q --license option to view the license of a
package.