[arch-dev-public] will DVD size be the limit for our official repos?

Paul Mattal paul at mattal.com
Thu Jul 12 08:30:16 EDT 2007

Simo Leone wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 11:55:44PM +0200, Andreas Radke wrote:
>> this is right if you think off users with huge bandwidth connections.
>> but we had it already twice in Germany that a printed LinuxMagazin
>> included the full iso, they also asked for a dvd. that always made Arch
>> more public here and brought new users to the Arch community.
>>
> Ok... so then if we have too many packages to fit on whatever they want
> to distribute, make up a nice subset of packages for those situations..
> that's what I said wasn't it?

This sounds easy, but when everything is intermingled, it will be hard
to separate out packages. These separations/divisions have to be tested,
like anything else, and sometimes we'll choose the wrong packages or
leave out not-so-well-defined dependencies.

Such ISOs will be of lower quality than the current full installer.

- P