[arch-dev-public] will DVD size be the limit for our official repos?

Paul Mattal paul at mattal.com
Thu Jul 12 08:46:41 EDT 2007

Damir Perisa wrote:
> Wednesday 11 July 2007, Dan McGee wrote:
>  | As long as I can get an base install up and running from a CD-R
>  | and then use pacman from there, I don't care about this DVD as
>  | much as some do. I just don't want the practicality and cheapness
>  | of a CD-R to be forgotten. (core+support or whatever has been
>  | suggested)
>
> or a flash-memory stick with a base++ collection of pkgs to set up a
> new installation.
>
> having the whole collection of pkgs is only usefull for offline
> systems as a reference and installing source. you would not want to
> download 4gb of files if you are not needing 60% of it anyway.

I just want at least one opinion to be heard on this.. I routinely
install machines that have no (and can have no) internet access. I
mirror onto those machines the full set of Arch repositories (lately
including [community] too). The reason is because we don't yet know what
we will have to do when we set up these machines, and we need the whole
toolkit at our disposal.

So there is at least one office full of people operating this way on
some machines, not because they want to but because they have to.

- P