[arch-dev-public] critical: fakeroot broken again, breaks makepkg

Andrew Fyfe andrew at neptune-one.net
Thu Jul 12 12:52:26 EDT 2007

Andrew Fyfe wrote:
> Thomas Bächler wrote:
>  > Andrew Fyfe schrieb:
>  >> Looking at your example I'm assuming you ran it in /dev/shm?
>  >
>  > I did. But I was able to reproduce it on a "normal" ext3, which is
>  > however mounted with "acl,user_xattr". On an ext3 mounted without those
>  > options, it works.
>  >
>  >> I've just tried the same test on my ubuntu box (glibc-2.6,
>  >> coreutils-5.97, fakeroot-1.7.1) and all is OK, so my guess at the moment
>  >>  is this is a coreutils issue.
>  >
>  > It is a fakeroot issue. Coreutils seems to have introduced yet another
>  > change that isn't caught by fakeroot properly.
>  >
>  >

> This problem only happens on tmpfs or a filesystem mounted with the acl
> option, and it only effects directories.
>
> When running on a working fs it copies the directory and chmods it 0700,
> then it chmods it with it's correct permissions. When running on a tmpfs
> or an fs with acl it doesn't do the second chmod.
>
> Not sure where to go from here, I'm a noob when it comes to C :)
>
> Andrew

A little more digging...

It looks like coreutils uses acl to set the permissions on a directory
when using 'cp -a' [1] and as fakeroot doesn't wrap acl functions the
permissions aren't being carried across.

Andrew

[1]
http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnulib.git;a=blob;f=lib/acl.c;h=84c595ab24d1a4215ee39472652a7111aadfe81f;hb=HEAD#l123