[arch-dev-public] An introduction to gooeydo

Phil Dillon-Thiselton dibblethewrecker at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 06:13:03 EDT 2007

Following a minor disagreement about how best to create .desktop files
to launch apps with root privs, James and I came up with gooeydo
(gui-do - ge' it?).

You can read all about it here:

http://thewrecker.net/?page_id=199

As an example of the purpose consider gparted and wifi-radar - both
require root privs but are most often just run by users.  I used sudo
in my .desktop file for wifi-radar, while James used gksu in gparted.
Because I don't have gksu on my system gparted won't appear in the
menu.

We think gooeydo nicely addresses the problem by ensure that a
suitable "run as root" apps is used in all cases.

Cheers,

Phil