[arch-dev-public] An introduction to gooeydo

Damir Perisa damir.perisa at solnet.ch
Fri Jul 27 09:24:10 EDT 2007

Friday 27 July 2007, Phil Dillon-Thiselton wrote:
 | > one detail: how do you want this wrapper to work? the desktop
 | > files stay the same, right? or do you edit them to contain
 | > gooeydo instead of su/sudo/kdesu/.../?
 |
 | The latter - I don't see how else we can do?  James and I came up
 | with this one morning so I'm not saying it's the ultimate
 | solution, we could have overlooked plenty.

true. i can only think of a stupid one: rename all su/sudo/... apps
and put instead links to your wrapper that is configrable and runs
the renamed desired one.

 | > i still think, this should be dealt by the apps using desktop
 | > entries ... :-)
 |
 | So do I...but how long will that take?

i do not know the state of it but the freedesktop people should be
shaken and reminded on it. i know that kde and probably gnome as well
has started putting things like "run as another user" but they
probably didnt consider putting it in desktop files... so either we
specify it in desktop files and everybody does it the same way, or
everybody reinvents the wheel... or even better for you - everybody
uses your wrapper :)

anyway... not much apps are having this issue, so it's managable to
edit them by hand :)

- D

--

                  <º)))><