[arch-dev-public] Package Cleanup: Part II

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 13:54:12 EDT 2007

On 6/1/07, Jason Chu <jason at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 02:14:59PM -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:

> > > I think my problem is that I still don't know the differences between
> > > this "core" repository and moving all the desktop stuff out of current.
> > >
> > > I still don't know what "core" is supposed to mean, so to me it sounds like
> > > putting packages where they belong is the same thing as creating a core
> > > repository.
> >
> > Hmmm well, the way I think of it.  Moving desktop stuff to extra just
> > seems "appropriate".  We've discussed, maybe 20 times or so, that the
> > line between current and extra makes no sense anymore.  Current was
> > intended to be "one of everything that we can fit on a CD" and that's
> > moot now (squashfs can give you me a 350MB full arch install in a
> > 115MB ISO - squash-lzma is even better, I think I got the same install
> > down to around 90MB or so).  Also, confining the repo due to size just
> > seems silly now.  We have no real reigning criteria for what makes
> > current "current", so that's where this is heading.
> >
> > The moving of desktop stuff to extra is an effort to "define" what the
> > current repo is.  Regarding the "core" stuff, I had said a few times -
> > completely ignore that page - forget it exists.  The intent of the
> > core repo thing is totally different, but with, potentially, a similar
> > end result.
>
> Ok, so I'm trying to ignore the core stuff.  Ignoring that, what is the
> definition of current?  So far I've seen "not desktop apps".  Does that
> mean console apps are ok?  Bluetooth libs?  Is cdparanoia a desktop app
> even though it's not graphical?  Is cups really a desktop app?  I'm just as
> likely to use it on a print server...  Fetchmail isn't graphical at all,
> but you could argue that reading email is a desktop use.
>
> I don't know what your definition is, so the choices seem arbitrary.

The entire list and little voting system in there was done with the
specific intent of defining current - that's just the thing, no one
knows what it should be.

You bring up cups - it's on the list sure, but look at the unofficial
vote thing - consensus says is stays in current (2 to 18 for moving to
extra).  Apache as well.

I'm not using my feelings or even asking specific people what they
think - interested parties went to that page and said "I am an arch
user and this is how I feel about this package" - it's a feeling-out,
and it appears that things like enlightenment should move to extra (17
to 0 vote) according to those interested in the topic (obviously,
uninterested parties don't add to the page, and if they're
uninterested it means it doesn't matter where the packages are to
them).

> It also doesn't help that the wiki page says, "Allow "current" to be a more
> core set of packages that are crucial to the distribution".

It's a wiki, feel free to delete that if it makes it unclear - or feel
free to document it further.

> I'm also a little afraid of moving packages without fully knowing the
> ramifications of the changes.  Makedepends and all that.  If pyrex were
> moved to community, orca (part of gnome-extra) would also have to go, for
> example.  I didn't see that mentioned anywhere on the wiki page (till I
> added it).

You are aware that I've checked these things before for 90% of the
packages I've moved, right? I actually have a list of packages on my
desk at home that has 20 or so packages, all crossed off, except for
pyrex - I do check these things, it's not haphazard.