[arch-dev-public] java licensing issues

Jason Chu jason at archlinux.org
Fri Jun 1 16:02:08 EDT 2007

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 09:39:23PM +0200, Jan de Groot wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 11:52 -0700, Jason Chu wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 08:15:19PM +0200, Jan de Groot wrote:
> > > Hi developers and users,
> > >
> > > As we all know, there's a distribution restriction on sun java. Today we
> > > asked at the Sun booth about possibilities for distributing java with
> > > our distribution.
> > > This solution would come down to entering a process which can take quite
> > > some months to get a final approvement. This means that until we would
> > > have such a solution, any Sun java we distribute is illegal.
> >
> > I thought that we were following the dlj guidelines... did you mention
> > anything to them about that?
> >
> > https://jdk-distros.dev.java.net/
> >
> > Any other approach we made, we'd have to make sure that all our currently
> > supported java apps still work.  I only know about the couple that I
> > maintain...
>
> Looks promising, but it still leaves us with an outdated jdk/jre full of
> bugs which are fixed already in the commercial version. Also, I wouldn't
> know how to run sun's JDK on archppc for example, something which is
> possible with the GNU java framework we have.

It's what we use right now with i686.  That's why I didn't want to package
6u1 because they haven't released it under the dlj license.

> About broken projects: we will test which ones will work tomorrow. At
> least the Sun compiler suite is broken with it because they do hardcoded
> version checks, but that one is broken anyways because glibc contains C
> ++ code in the C headers which works fine in gcc but breaks in the sun
> compiler ;). This gcc-gcj release looks very solid to me, there
> shouldn't be any problem running eclipse with it for example (hey, gcj
> is compiled by eclipse ;)).

I'm more worried about software that comes precompiled, like cgoban2.  Not
being able to play go on any computer, wherever I am, at any time would
just destroy me! ;)

Jason