[arch-dev-public] [networking] autowifi

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Jun 1 13:44:29 EDT 2007

James Rayner schrieb:
> could tie in very nicely to mine if it used the same network profile
> configuration, otherwise it's a bit icky, having wireless networks
> defined in multiple locations. Part of the point of my scripts was to
> eliminate that.

The profiles for autowifi have different requirements than the ones
netcfg uses:

- autowifi profiles don't have an interface name
- it is not possible to run a pre_up and pre_down script with autowifi,
wpa_supplicant only notifies us after the event.
- autowifi profiles are not bound to an interface, but to an essid.

I don't like putting all autowifi networks in one big netcfg profile
either, as it will kill some simplicity.

However, autowifi could be a more flexible replacement for your
wpa_config mode, but then there would still be external files for the
networks.