[arch-dev-public] [networking] autowifi

James Rayner iphitus at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 07:07:33 EDT 2007

On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 12:06:07PM +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> James Rayner schrieb:
> > Some ideas of making it co-operate with netcfg...
> > a) definitely record state. create the standard netcfg state files so netcfg knows
> > the interface is in use, and autowifi is using it. Don't hurry and
> > implement this now, i'm moving state to netcfg/functions, so any script
> > can set state.
>
> Good idea.
>
> > b) Through the above, make it possible for netcfg --stop-iface work,
> > which shouldnt be hard, and possibly even netcfg --stop autowifi.
>
> If we do c), then this should work automatically, right?
>
> > c) Possibly, just implement autowifi as a netcfg connection type, thus
> > moving /etc/conf.d/autowifi to a profile, and the regexp's to the same
> > file. So to enable autowifi, one would just add 'autowifi' to the
> > network daemons line and modify the example /etc/network.d/autowifi with
> > the above. You could also keep the /etc/rc.d/ -- it could just call
> > start_profile autowifi from netcfg/functions
>
> That is what I thought, but it still leaves the problem of the
> networks/ssids. They have to be configured somewhere.

wireless settings would stay in the wpa_supplicant.conf
regexes and such in network.d/autowifi
network ip configuration... network.d/ profiles?

> > d) For the various networks, you could just implement these as
> > autowifi-ethernet type networks, or with a bit of work, I could modify
> > ethernet and they would be standard ethernet profiles.
>
> I don't really like that, but I'll have a look.

yeah... I'm not sure, maybe a bit of trial and error might be worth a
go, evaluate some ideas and see what happens.

> > Just ideas, not sure how well they'd work. Don't rush and implement
> > anything till i get the state work done, which should be this week.
>
> My stuff is still proof-of-concept. I will test the usability over the
> next few weeks anyway and then over time see what can be improved. I
> won't rush integration into netcfg now, so take your time.

Ok, cool. I've got exams for the next week or so, but after I plan to
get netcfg up to scratch and tidy the rough edges.

James