[arch-dev-public] java licensing issues

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Sat Jun 2 10:28:43 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-02 at 14:03 +0200, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Am Freitag, 1. Juni 2007 21:39:23 schrieb Jan de Groot:
> > This gcc-gcj release looks very solid to me, there
> > shouldn't be any problem running eclipse with it for example (hey, gcj
> > is compiled by eclipse ;)).
>
> Was there any change to the java license or is the current jdk distribution of
> arch just illegal? Does eclipse really work with gcj? Last time a take a look
> at gcj and classpath they were far away from implementing a full jdk6
> including swing etc..

Our current distribution makes use of the DLJ, which allows
distribution. This is a special non-free distribution license that only
allows specific versions to get distributed.
About eclipse: Ubuntu and Redhat have it running with GNU java. The
recent work done on eclipse-ecj integration in GNU Java I did makes GNU
java fully support java 5.0, which is enough to be competetive these
days. GCJ is no longer a compiler, it's a wrapper to the eclipse
compiler now.