[arch-dev-public] KVM & Paravirtualization

Alexander Baldeck kth5 at archlinuxppc.org
Sun Jun 3 06:47:41 EDT 2007

Hey all,

some of you may have noticed that we have a couple of feature requests
on flyspray [1] [2] regarding a new KVM and paravirtualization. I've
been messing with KVM on Linuxtag. So far it works well but there's a
few issues with it:

1) makes no sense to port to non-x86_64
    - i686 has kqemu - the kqemu on x86_64 is pretty much useless btw
    - I have never heard of a 32bit CPU that actually supports this
      - correct me if I'm wrong

2) it comes with a modified version of Qemu that only provides
     qemu-system-$CARCH and thus conflicts with qemu itself
    - merge with qemu package?
    - strip qemu-system-$CARCH off of qemu package?

3) KVM modules in our kernel26 are very outdated and should be removed
     in favor of the ones provided by the KVM source tarball

4) split KVM into kvm-qemu & kvm-modules?

I have not yet tried to enable options like suggested in [2] yet but
will do so soon.

What do you think?

Cheers,

-H