[arch-dev-public] KVM & Paravirtualization

James Rayner iphitus at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 08:28:26 EDT 2007

On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 12:47:41PM +0200, Alexander Baldeck wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> some of you may have noticed that we have a couple of feature requests
> on flyspray [1] [2] regarding a new KVM and paravirtualization. I've
> been messing with KVM on Linuxtag. So far it works well but there's a
> few issues with it:
>
> 1) makes no sense to port to non-x86_64
>     - i686 has kqemu - the kqemu on x86_64 is pretty much useless btw
>     - I have never heard of a 32bit CPU that actually supports this
>       - correct me if I'm wrong

what about a capable 64bit processor running a 32 bit distro? Like the
core 2 duos, pentium D 9x0..?

> 2) it comes with a modified version of Qemu that only provides
>      qemu-system-$CARCH and thus conflicts with qemu itself
>     - merge with qemu package?
>     - strip qemu-system-$CARCH off of qemu package?

could also rename the binary, otherwise, if you're using kvm, then you
probably wont mind if you dont have stock qemu, so a conflicts should be
fine?

> 3) KVM modules in our kernel26 are very outdated and should be removed
>      in favor of the ones provided by the KVM source tarball

or would it be better to patch the kernel with the new one?

> 4) split KVM into kvm-qemu & kvm-modules?

definitely split the modules off if they must be seperated from the
kernel.

James