[arch-dev-public] KVM & Paravirtualization

Jason Chu jason at archlinux.org
Sun Jun 3 14:42:17 EDT 2007

On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 12:47:41PM +0200, Alexander Baldeck wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> some of you may have noticed that we have a couple of feature requests
> on flyspray [1] [2] regarding a new KVM and paravirtualization. I've
> been messing with KVM on Linuxtag. So far it works well but there's a
> few issues with it:
>
> 1) makes no sense to port to non-x86_64
>     - i686 has kqemu - the kqemu on x86_64 is pretty much useless btw
>     - I have never heard of a 32bit CPU that actually supports this
>       - correct me if I'm wrong

I'm pretty sure my Core Duo has it.  It's only 32bit.

> 2) it comes with a modified version of Qemu that only provides
>      qemu-system-$CARCH and thus conflicts with qemu itself
>     - merge with qemu package?
>     - strip qemu-system-$CARCH off of qemu package?

What about the way the kvm package in AUR works?  It creates a qemu-kvm and
puts all the binaries in a different directory (so qemu-system-$CARCH
doesn't conflict).

> 3) KVM modules in our kernel26 are very outdated and should be removed
>      in favor of the ones provided by the KVM source tarball

I agree.

> 4) split KVM into kvm-qemu & kvm-modules?

That's usually how we do it...

> I have not yet tried to enable options like suggested in [2] yet but
> will do so soon.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Cheers,
>
> -H
>
> [1] http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/7331
> [2] http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/7337

I also disagree with some of the sentiment that you only need qemu or kvm.
I have vmware, qemu, and kvm installed right now.  I have them all serving
different purposes and each of them breaks for one reason or another as
updates happen :P

Jason