[arch-dev-public] Devices >2TB

Paul Mattal paul at mattal.com
Mon Jun 18 17:55:11 EDT 2007

Anyone know if our standard kernels are capable of seeing/handling
devices that are >2TB in size? I know you need 48-bit LBA to do
this, but clearly 48-bit LBA is supported on the machines I'm using
and in our kernel.

The 2TB limit, as I understand it, comes from something *somewhere*
being limited to a 32-bit address. Is it the kernel, or perhaps my
SATA controller somehow? Or the sata_nv driver?

The setup is that I'm hooking up a hardware-raid-enclosure external
cabinet up via the ESATA port to the SATA controller built into the
NVidia NForce 430 chipset on the motherboard. We can't see more than
2TB.

Thanks for any helpful hints that people may know!

- P