[arch-dev-public] Updating the licenses package

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 12:39:20 EDT 2007

On 3/30/07, Jason Chu <jason at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 19:20:53 +0300
> "Roman Kyrylych" <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > There's no need to add them all, IMO. Many of them are not used in
> > > any of available PKGBUILDs, and some require providing full text
> > > (BSD-like, MIT, zlib/libpng), but some most common of them could be
> > > added.
> > > It's importand to have correct licenses in package. See
> > > http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/5637 for example.
> > > Also, while changing the package, take a look at
> > > http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/5623
> >
> > Oh, and yet one notice: why all directories in /usr/share/licenses are
> > capitalized (i.e. RUBY, APACHE)???
>
> It all started with the GPL.  There was GPL, BSD, ... APACHE should
> have been APL (I thought that's how I did it originally...).
>
> Almost all of the licenses have a shortened form.
>
> What do you suggest?

I feel like people understand GPL, LGPL, BSD just fine. But I would
have no idea what APL was until you told me, that just isn't a common
way to refer to it. The question is- what do people put in the license
field when it is an Apache license? We should have consistancy there-
a license name should be identical to the license reference.

-Dan